At Potters Gate and St. Andrews, we believe that every child can become passionate, fluent readers and inspired, creative writers. As a school community, we promote a strong love of reading through an exciting, language rich curriculum and continually take inspiration from the world around us.
- We provide our children with the key skills to read, comprehend and discuss a variety of thought-provoking texts, starting with the Read, Write Inc phonics in Early Years and progressing to whole class guided reading focussing on a range of high quality and engaging texts.
- We promote a love of literature and an enjoyment of reading for pleasure within all classes across our schools, from whole class guided reading and story times to author visits and access to an inspirational school library.
- We aim to give our children the tools to write creatively and passionately across a wide range of genres with topical and cultural stimuli.
- We continually strive to cultivate a language rich environment which encourages all children to communicate their thoughts confidently in a range of contexts. Our school values are threaded throughout our curriculum as children are empowered to communicate their ideas in a safe and nurturing environment.
Introduction to Book Banding
We colour band our books using a variety of rich reading material.
For information on book banding, please click here.
Useful notes for parents, please click on colour.
- orange turquoise and purple
- orange turquoise and purple 1
- orange turquoise and purple 2
- pink and red
- pink and red 1
- pink and red 1
- pink and red 2
- reading bands
- what to read 2020
- what to read 2020 1
- yellow green and blue
- yellow green and blue 1
- yellow green and blue 2